Tuesday 12 November 2013

The Value of Solitude and Change

You know when we have a change to undergo, there will always be those around us that help us, encourage us and those who have opinions that although they may believe, is offered in a spirit of friendship - turns out to be distressing to me.

I am thankful for the friends and family who offer us wisdom in the form of ideas that we hadn't considered.  One of my good friends today, brought something to my attention that I hadn't considered when trying to decide on how we actually GET to Karratha.  She suggested 10 days and 4500 kilometers in a car may not be the best thing for my back, which at the best of times, is unreliable.  Good Point Pats! that helped us make the decision to drive only as far as Adelaide, then put the car on the transporter.

I appreciated her input and I appreciated that she gave it to me in the true spirit of wanting the best for me and to help us.

Another acquaintance went to great lengths to tell me of her opinion and bring to me all of the negative things that may or may not surround such a momentous change.  I think she thought that maybe I hadn't thought of all these negativities - I had. I have thought a lot about how this is going to effect Chris and I.  I choose not to dwell on these however.  I choose to go ahead. Then again, that advice could only come from her perspective. That does not correlate with my perspective.

This is a choice that we have made after careful consideration and thoughtful preparation - but I have made my decision to love and support my husband.  He is my life and he is my love.  I would do anything for him and he in turn would do anything for me.  I would be lost without him.  My home is in his arms and wherever he is, there I shall be also. Simple really; that's the promise I made 16 years ago.

I am so lucky that my children wholeheartedly support and love us in the move.  They have encouraged us to follow our dream to live and work somewhere else before it's too late and we are too old!! LOL  I am also very, very lucky that we have a close and loving relationship, not only with the kids but also my sisters, father and brother.  Distance will not diminish that love.

I know that this move will have many downs and a few big ups in the first few months. I remember what it was like when I moved to Canberra many years ago with a young baby.  It was hard but my goodness those years in Canberra were a lot of fun.  The  things I learnt cannot be understated either - both about myself and about life in general.

Moving to Karratha, literally  on the other side of Australia from here, will most likely have it's lonely, solitary times. Especially if Chris has to go out in the field and stay overnight.  I'm pretty used to that - Chris has always travelled for his work the entire time we have been together. It is hard but luckily, I quite enjoy solitude.  I quite relish having time to myself, sitting quietly or tearing around feverishly, as I am known to do - pottering around the house, loitering in the playroom or just knitting or sewing while watching a DVD.

Solitude and being lonely are two very different things - I understand that too.  I know I will be lonely at times; I also know that I can be lonely right here, right now.  People can be lonely even when they are surrounded by people. Luckily to for me, I am not a very lonely type of person.  If I get lonely, I get out and do something.  I do enjoy my time alone and I try to make the best of it.   Solitude gives me an opportunity to think, plan, revisit happy memories and think about the people I miss.  It's not so maudlin, missing people - it makes you appreciate them all the more and realise how lucky you are to have them in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment