Tuesday 26 November 2013

Make Do And Mend

One of the interesting things that I found out on our recent holiday in the UK was that Winston Churchill coined the very popular phrase, that is used on advertising and labelling and all sorts of merchandise these days - Keep Calm and Carry On.

This along with all sorts of little quirky sayings, has made it's way into our everyday vernacular.  It is used everywhere and on everything but it's original use was something quite different.

Churchill was famous for his speeches and for his extremely quick wit - I knew there was a reason that I  was fascinated by the man. He coined this phrase during World War II to bolster the morale of the good folk of London, who were copping a lot of the fallout, literally, but also the country folk whom he didn't get to interact with other than through media; press and radio. The phrase, Keep Calm and Carry On, was plastered all over the city to let people know that they had to keep their shit together and live their lives as best they could in such terribly frightening circumstances. Stiff upper lip and all that. It seemed to have worked as Churchill was very well regarded and some of his decisions for the war effort are legendary.

Another idiom to emerge from that same era and for the same reason, was "Make Do and Mend".  This one is my favourite at the moment.  It was to encourage people that they could get by with what they had and mend anything that needed it rather than throw it out and buy something new.  Definately different from today when  you can't even fix a kettle; it is cheaper to throw it out and buy  a new one. Plus during the war, a replacement was not an option anyway. Often a repair job could offer up another use as well.

Not only does this little saying remind me of my love of sewing,  it also reminds me that we don't always have to have the latest, the best, the greatest, the most expensive.  Sadly this does seem to be the norm in our culture now.

A few years ago I started reading a blog called Down to Earth.   www.down---to---earth.blogspot.com.au  A lot of the things and ideas that Rhonda wrote about, I was already doing, but there was also a lot of new ideas for me to consider and adopt. I have to say that it changed my life in regard to my reconsideration of spending and making do.

Chris and I were already growing a lot of our own veggies, making most of our meals from scratch.  I already sewed and knitted, l had always been a keen old fashioned home maker. We did start making our own bread, that saved us a motza; we tried making our own soap and then washing powder. So much cheaper than bought washing powder and the soap was just nicer and a fun thing that Chris and I did together.

 As we were saving for our next holiday, I followed Rhonda's other suggestions for saving the pennies and the pounds would grow.  All my life my father has said, "It's made flat to stack and round to go round." I told you he was smart :)

Anyway, we tightened up a little on expenditure, only buying things that we really needed. I just didn't go into the town centre, if  I wasn't near shops then I couldn't spend.  I  have never been much of a shopper, unless we are on holidays and then it is usually gifts for others as well as a few treats for ourselves #insert jewellery here :)

When Chris was made redundant, we were financially in a pretty good position with no debt. A little careful planning and a fair amount of lucky timing. The fact that I had a well paying job, meant that we could still go on holiday and save for that to happen.

I think too that as children, we witnessed Mum and Dad making do.  Not rushing out to buy the latest or best.  There were definately times when I wish this wasn't so, when it impacted on me directly especially. We went for years without a telly cos Dad didn't think we needed one. I think Mum got a new colour TV when my brother was coming home from the army on leave and the Olympics were on!  That was the excuse she used anyway , LOL.

Making do can be a kinda fun challenge too. I find that by the time you go out to get dinner, you can just easily boil a couple of eggs and make some toast. Saves money, saves petrol, saves the ozone a little with a gentler foot print and all that. Plus that food will be better for you.

Now as we set up our new home in Karratha, we will again put our frugal selves to the test.  Although the house is fully furnished, there are obviously 'bits and bobs' that we will need. I am counting on getting these second hand next year, as it would not be at all cost efficient to bring them with us.  The removal costs would exceed the value of the items. There are a few exceptions to this rule ; my sewing machine and a few quilts.

I know, Karratha is no place for quilts. But I ask you what would my home be like without a few strategically placed quilts??

So as a wise man once said, "Make do!" Reduce, reuse, recycle and repair!

















No comments:

Post a Comment