Sunday 24 November 2013

Lazy Sunday

Today we have had a lovely lazy day doing not very much at all.  Chris has been assembling a new barbeque, I gave him a haircut and we did the house work.  I vaccummed and Chris mopped the floors.  We did that early this morning though, as it is a bit hot to being doing house work later in the day.  But that's OK, it's just about learning new routines. 

The rest of the time, I have been watching Mad Men Series 6 in between cricket.  Emily and Farooq bought  it for me just prior to leaving Tassie.  Such a thoughtful gift to while away some time.  Plus I had better fess up, I did get my head on the pillow for a little snooze :

Chris and I have been discussing how best to get my car here; I know I keep dancing around this issue but now we have a new idea.  Our latest rumination involves leaving the car in Tassie until after Emily and Farooq's wedding in April.  We are, after all, going to need a car for the 2 or three weeks we are home and then maybe selling it after that.

In Karratha there is a vacant lot on the highway into town called Dreamers Corner. What happens is that anyone who has a car, boat, caravan, or bike to sell, take it to Dreamers Corner with the details on the window and if you are interested you get their details and follow up.  The Shire regulate the activity and you need a permit to park your sale item there. But is seems very popular, there are plenty of people stopping by to peruse the wares.

 Chris and I went to check it out to see if there was a car there for me, or something that would be suitable for me. I'm thinking just a decent sized 4 cylinder with low kms.  I only need something reliable to get me to work.  It is just another idea.  Watch this space because I am sure there will be another option up for discussion soon.

We are also making lists of things that we need to buy for the house here.  While it is fully furnished, there are just the odd little thing that the owner has not thought of.  Things like shelving in the bathroom, walk in robe and more bedroom furniture, tall boy and some outdoor easy chairs etc. The furniture is very modern and retro, 60s styled low studded couches etc. They look really good but are not very comfortable. Well I just can't get comfortable on them.

Luckily, Sherry, at Chris' work, has given him another hot tip. There is a Facebook page that is by request membership only, called Karratha Buy, Swap or Sell. It is for Karratha residents only and is a free site to acquire or dispose of what you need to.  We are awaiting membership so that we can check out lounge suites and shelf units.
Apparently it is a Karratha institution and everyone uses it but you have to be a resident.

Another place to find stuff is fhe local paper, The Pilbara News. So I will get Chris to get a copy of that. There is a Harvey Norman here and a hardware shop but not a lot of choice in either.





Out the front of the house is a huge verandah which has drop down shade blinds; it looks to be a lovely spot for an evening drink but nothing to sit on yet. I am not expecting everything straight away, but we can keep our eyes and ears open.

The saucepan set that is in the house is very cheap and flimsy, so we bought a new fry pan, a Cuisinart; good buy as it cooks beautifully without burning everything to a crisp or teflon coating your meat. :)

So little bit by little bit we are turning this house into our new home where we will be comfortable and have a place that is welcoming to our visitors!!  It's all part of the adventure and we are enjoying it together.

















No comments:

Post a Comment