Sunday 11 May 2014

Time to Count your Blessings

Happy Mothers Day to all you women who mold the future generations. I hope that your day has beautiful moments that you can store away in the vault to draw out later and turn over and over to get every ounce of love and joy out of them.


I seem to be surrounded by happiness today. The newly weds; the about-to-be newly weds; my lovely niece has just given birth to a beautiful little girl - she already looks gorgeous and relaxed and she is only two days old! There are other little bubs on the way; my friends all seem to be trotting along OK and most of the family are well and happy.

I'm pleased about that.

I think too often we get so busy in our lives, so intent on making the most of each minute, so frantic running here and there getting our lists ticked off  (or is this just me??)  that we forget to count our blessings.

Those little things that put a smile on our face for no reason are blessings; those daily joys that are so small we don't even recognise them. You know, the coffee that tastes so good this morning; the toast that is cooked just right; the paper not being wet; dodging the cold and flu; if you have the cold and flu, the fact you can afford medicine to feel better; the blue sky after lots of rain and clouds - a metaphor for life if ever there was one - the warm bed; the friend who calls to say "Hi, how are you?"

I could go on and on but if you pause for a few seconds right now, I bet you can think of ten things, count off on your fingers, ten things that you are lucky, really lucky to have right now in your life.  It doesn't detract from your joy if other people also share that blessing, you know, it is still yours to acknowledge.

My heart has been pummeled these last few days. I have felt terrible grief and sorrow when I visited Chris' grave. It was the first time that I have been there since the headstone plaque was added.  I was not at all prepared for the tidal wave of sorrow that hit me like a tonne of bricks.  I was absolutely surprised by it. But even in all that grief, I was still reminded, beautifully so, of the love of caring friends and the concern of my loving family. How lucky am I to have those people who give me love when I need it most?

How can I not be thankful?  You probably all think I'm losing the plot. How  can I be so deep in sorrow and yet still think I am lucky?  I don't know the answer, I really don't know.  All I do know is that I still feel the love and comfort that surrounds me.  It is strange and weird but then again the goings on of the last few months have been strange, weird, wrecking, re-building, debilitating, divine and hopeful.  Most of all I am just so grateful for the love of a wonderful man who meant the world to me and I to him.  Truly grateful.

Doesn't mean that I  don't wish he was still right here beside me today and that we were having breakfast in Karratha as per the instructions!!

So for Mothers Day 2014, count your blessings!  Give thanks to your own Higher Being for all you have, let your friends and family know how much they mean to you, because you never know when that may be your last opportunity - plus it makes people feel good to know that they are appreciated :)



So put a smile on your own face and someone elses and say, "Thank you for all you do for me. I love you".  You will be surprised how good it feels to be grateful and let others know that as well.

My mother used to always say, "There is always someone better off than you and someone worse off than you - the better ones make you strive to be better and the worse off make you grateful for all you have."  she was a wise old gal, my mother.

To my darling children, thank you for all you have done for me and with me over the last 32 years. Thank you for being such loving, caring, thoughtful men and women who truly think of others and how you can improve their days.  I am thankful for the gift that is motherhood.  I also thank Chris for bringing to the equation my two lovely step sons, who just like their darling Dad are marvellous, caring men. See how lucky I am? I would have put their pictures on here for you all to see, but they might be embarrassed and goodness knows I have done that enough over the last twenty years or so LOL!! So Darren, Andrew, Jonathan, Danika and Emily - today I give thanks for you xxxxx


My heart is a museum filled with pictures of you

No comments:

Post a Comment