Wednesday 14 May 2014

Family jokes

* Apologies in advance to Emily



Pauline, Alarna, et al - no weeping tonight 



In our family, the kids and I have always had "In Jokes". Little sayings that we have heard or said and then just repeat over and over again.  It is disturbing sometimes when we drop into a conversation one of our little idioms and others just look at us with a very concerned look on their face.

We had several years when it was just the four of us.  Hilarity was common in our house, sometimes we were all laughing at the same thing, some time it was each other. We developed this funny little trait - don't know if it was unique to us - but Chris soon adopted it when he joined us in that little house in Sutton Street. Our one liners that were used in amusing context or just to wind each other up.  Well, we thought they were funny.

Emily being the youngest was, unfortunately for her, the butt of several of these little inside jokes. She was a really funny kid and would amuse us for hours just by being Emily.  Every photo that we have of Emily as a littlen, she is pulling a funny face; so naturally her sense of the ridiculous and innate humour bubbled over into every day life.

When she was about 7, Chris and I were laughing at her; she had done something hilarious! She turned around to us, as serious as a heart attack and said with her little face all furrowed up, "I've got feelings you know and you've just hurt mine!"  Well we fed off that one for years and years. And for years and years, Emily would scowl and say "It's not even funny!!"

Another one was the punchline in one of my favourite jokes that Chris ever told me.  It's about two men on the chains at the show.  The chains break and Cecil gets smashed up against the wall. Cyril runs over and says " Cecil, Cecil, are you hurt???"  "Of course I'm hurt! I went around six times and you never waved once!"  Of course Chris did a much better job of that but whenever any one was hurt or upset (in a funny way of course, not a serious sense), we would all wave to the offended.  Never gets old, that one.

Chris told me that joke as we were driving down the Booker Highway into Hobart and I was still laughing as we booked into the hotel. Granted, he delivered it better than I.

I guess you all remember that movie Home Alone. As the family are all leaving for the airport and the little kid from next door, runs along beside the car and says, " Bring me back something French!" Well that became the catch cry for us whenever anyone was going anywhere. I used it so much that when I left the DPP, one of the prosecutors gave me a CD of French songs as a leaving gift!

Someone said it a few months ago when my niece was staying with us. We were going out for lunch or something. She's quick that girl; she said, "Will I do? "  Of course her last name is French!!

When Emily was in Grade 9, she used to go to East Launceston Primary School one afternoon a week.  She was doing a paper cut with the kids, you know the snow flakes.  Anyway this cute little Asian boy, about 5, was absolutely intent on doing his without any help whatsoever from Emily. After every other child had completed theirs and was off playing, he finally came to Emily for help. Once she had completed the paper cut for him and handed it back, she said, "What do you say?" (as in thank you).  The little fella held it up and beamed saying, "I did it myself."  And so another family saying was born.



There have been many times when our own little in joke or side remark, has really made us laugh uproariously.  Humour has been a great saving grace in our family.  I guess our weirdness is something that only we get but that's OK.  Everyone is a little weird. As long as we share that with other weirdos, it's all good.





1 comment:

  1. I love inside jokes Kathy ... Weird is good ... It makes for happy families :)

    ReplyDelete