Sunday 8 December 2013

Auntie Thel

Morning Kerry :)


Everyone should have an Auntie Thel, she's just great.  Thelma is the middle sister of my father, who had one brother and three sisters.  Jim, Iris, Thelma and Shirley.  Only Auntie Thel is still alive and this January will reach the ripe old age of 88. She is well, still lives at home, still gardens, still walks into town to do her shopping. Still a blooming marvel!

Auntie Thel is most definately one of my heroes. She has been a widow since my son was born, nearly 32 years ago. Uncle Reg was a returned soldier and never enjoyed the best of health and died when he was only is his 50s.  I can remember attending his funeral, very pregnant, on a hot day and I can remember how stoic Thelma was.  I wonder what was going through her mind as she was so brave and upright. I have no doubt that her heart was breaking but she bore her grief without a fuss.

Like all of Dad's siblings, Thelma has the most fabulous sense of humour; she is kindness herself; she is a hard worker; she is honest and a true, loyal friend.  But the thing that I admire most about her is her strength. It was only about five years ago that she finished working. Right up until that time, she used to clean houses, gradually decreasing her work load until she just did "one old fella's" house.  At 82, I wonder how old her employer was ??

Thelma has stayed in the home that she and Reg bought through the Housing Department Returned Soldiers Scheme.  That house is like a lighthouse in a storm, always the same, always there, always welcoming.  When I was about 7, we moved out to the country, about 5 miles from town. Mum worked shift work and Dad worked on the HEC (Hydro Electric Commission)  as a linesman, but on weekends he worked on farms around the area and his own little farm. So he was rarely at home on weekends.

I played basketball in the summer roster and of course that was in town.  So on Saturday mornings, I would walk into town, play basketball and then walk home again. (Yeah
I know, I couldn't do it now!!)  Often times though, I would walk down to Auntie Thel's after basketball, as she lived in the same street at the Youth Centre (basketball stadium).  Of course this was nearly always at lunch time :)  and my reason for that was - Auntie Thel's Plum Sauce!  Auntie Thel used to make me home cut chips and slather them with plum sauce, yummo. With her twinkling smile she would say,  "Just for something different, let's have some hot chips, eh?"  "Yeah, lets :)"

That love of home made chips still remains.  Whenever I am sick or feel particularly down, nothing hits the spot like some fresh home made hot chips! Bless you, Auntie Thel.

Dad took up Sheep Dog Trialling in his retirement and would often go away for the weekend.  Auntie Thel used to go out to the farm  and stay with Mum, to keep her company and help with the feeding of the livestock. I was a single Mum at this time and would visit them when the kids were with their Dad.

I remember us talking about getting married again and fellas in general one visit, when Auntie Thel came out with a pearler, typical of her cheeky sense of fun. She said, "I wouldn't get married again unless his arse was studded with diamonds and I could pick one out whenever I wanted!"

Well Mum and I just collapsed with laughter, hugging our sides.  Auntie Thel was the instigator of that saying 'rolling on the floor laughing my arse off '!

A few years ago, her sister passed away after years of battling cancer in various forms. She said it would get her one day and one day it did. My uncle, whose last name was Stonehouse,  phoned Thelma not long after Auntie Shirley's death.  "How are you Allan?" said Auntie Thel.  "Shit house!" "Oh you've changed your name then!" Thel shot back as quick as lightening.  Not bad for an old gal in her  80s.

When you are young, you don't appreciate your oldies.  You think that all that sitting about, drinking cups of tea and reminiscing about the past  and people they knew, was boring beyond words. In my 40s, when all the siblings were still alive, seeing them together turned out to actually be a joy to behold.

They would laugh and talk to each other like they were still young men and women, teenagers nearly with their jokes and quick retorts.  Their faces would all simultaneously dissolve into a mass of crinkles, their eyes would become just squints and the thigh slapping would commence. The undeniable love between them all didn't need to be given any sort of heraldic announcement - it was just there, plain to see for anyone in their presence. Surely this is the level of sibling interaction and affection to attain and cherish.

Just recently, she finished paying off her home at the ripe old age of  (about) 84. She said to my Dad "Gee, what will I do with all that extra money each fortnight now???"  $40 - I think Dad told her to spend it!

Made  round to go round and made flat to stack - remember :)

Her amazing attributes are many and spread around the community.  She has helped raise her grandkids, looked after oldies in town and taken many a needy soul under her wing - cooking them meals and countless cups of tea. She remains strong, she remains faithful to her family and she remains a true epitome of selflessness and charity. I wish that every one had an Auntie Thel like mine but unfortunately she is one in a million!  That's why she is such a treasure.

2 comments:

  1. Long after we have gone memories live on. We sometimes don't realise that people like your Aunty Thelma make such a difference in our individual lives, it helps us become the people we are. This lives on in our children because of what they see in us, which makes a difference to their lives and how they treat people. And on it goes, long after those who influence our lives are gone.

    ReplyDelete