Thursday 5 December 2013

A Half Packed House.....

is such a dreary sight.  The saddest room of all is The Playroom.

The Playroom is my sewing room.  My little Nirvana; my retreat; my own private Heaven on earth.
It used to be filled with beautiful fabrics, set out in lovely piles on the shelves, just waiting for a kind hand to smooth over any wrinkles. I have a custom made cutting table with plenty of baskets and shelves to hold all my requirements.  The sewing machine sits right in front of the window, so that I get the best light possible. All my tools are at the end of my fingers.  A lot of planning and time has gone into setting up The Playroom so it is just right.

My Playroom has a CD player so that I can while away the hours listening to music or an audio book. As we have previously established, I love doing two things at once and am always hurrying, so being able to listen to a book and sew at the same time, aah bliss! :)

Right now though my sanctuary is in a mess.  It is turned all upside down; there are half packed boxes, stacks to be sorted and piles to be put into the correct storage container.  It is not my nirvana anymore. It is a rose thorn stuck under my fingernail!


Look at all those sad, half empty shelves

I cant help but feel really sad while I am in there packing it all up.  I have spent 100s of hours happily in there over the last 9 years. I have made countless quilts for people - relatives, friends; those having bubbas, birthdays or weddings. It has given me a lot of comfort that room.

Whenever I make a quilt for someone, I always spend those hours of sewing thinking about whom I am making it for, remembering times that we have spent together. I wonder whether or not they will like the colours and pattern that I have chosen and how they will use the quilt; will they put it on their beds, throw it over a couch or put it away in a cupboard (that's my worst case scenario).  I make all my quilts with love in every stitch.

So my peaceful retreat is being pulled apart and boxed up.  I just hope that when we get to Karratha, I can again set up a little nook that I will feel creative and spurred on to again make lovely things for the family.  Dresses for the girls, kitchen bits and bobs, quilts for new babies etc.

The rest of the house looks like a tip as well, with boxes piled up all over the shop; all my  little precious things have been packed away and the pictures that I love so much have all been bubble wrapped and either going to storage or some with us. I have even taken the quilts off the chairs and sofa! Looks bare doesn't it?


And then there are all the goods waiting to go to new homes via the Goodwill shop. I have hidden that behind the sofa, looks like two car loads to me :(  More to come yet once I hit the kitchen, yikes.


But at least we have progress People! and that's a marvellous thing.  

There is a lot that I cannot pack yet, as we still need to use those things. The kitchen will be the last to go I think.  When Daughter D and SIL* to be No. 2 arrive home, then we will have a change over day - they will unpack their things and we shall pack ours.  The removal van is booked for the same day we go on the boat, January 13th.

More good news is that I have finally received a quote for the car from Adelaide to Karratha (hands in the air, waving!).  The Customer Service Officer said "oh you have ages to go yet!." I know that but I like to get things ticked off early and sorted :)  Could nearly buy a car for the cost, but oh well it has to be done.

Well I think that I have done quite enough for one day. I might go and clear a space in a chair and do some knitting while I watch a DVD. 

*Son In Law

1 comment:

  1. the lovely quilt you made us does its rounds! befs, couch, car and pram x

    we too are packing and the house looks like a bombs hit! I packed my craft corner up this weekend - feels weird to not have it there to pop into

    ReplyDelete