Monday 21 October 2013

Day One


So this is it. We have now begun a journey that will take several months and then some as we settle into a new life in a new state.
It all started, really, 11 months ago when my husband,Chris, was quite suddenly made redundant. You know how people alway say , "well things happen for a reason." Well truer words and all that. Chris had just recently turned 60, so a big change like this was not really that welcome. We had a lovely, simple, home with family and friends nearby. Needless to say we were thrown into a bit of a tailspin.
"Oh well, we'll be Ok. I have  a good job, a steady job in public service.  Something will come up soon."
We had already started to plan an overseas trip in 2013, so we just kept on that path and networked around for a new job for Chris.
Fast forward to July this year: a couple of weeks before we were to head off to beautiful Paris and Chris was offered a position in Karratha, Western Australia!!  A great job, a great package, a great opportunity - but Karratha??!!

Chris went up there for a look and visit, to see what the job entailed and where we would live etc. He came back to Launceston buoyed. We agreed it was too good an opportunity to miss, especially at our ages.

So this morning at 5.00 o'clock, I took my beloved out to the airport for stage one of three flights, that will see him arrive in Karratha at about 7 p.m., our time as the first flight was delayed - off to a good start :)

This blog is first and foremost for me.  Thirty years ago when I did a similar move, it was documented by pen and paper, but technology has moved on since then, so as will I.
I want to keep a track of how this all goes, what will be involved in the process and how I will cope. Feel free to join the ride. I reckon it will be interesting, well for me anyway !

 

2 comments:

  1. This will certainly be an entertaining story, one which I will follow with interest... an emotional and physical roller coaster, but I'm hopping on for the ride!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent - at least I have one reader :)

    ReplyDelete