Saturday 11 January 2014

The Book Fieth

Sleep is a big topic in our house at the moment and what a rotter lasts nights was.  Well actually it wasn't too bad until I went to get out of bed.  Oh my, can we have two new backs pronto to Franmaree Road, one in a size 5 ft 8 and one in a 5 ft 4 and a half.  (*Note that I get to add my half an inch, it means a lot when you are my height!) 

That would be greash.

Last night Danika, Shaun and I went to the cinema to see The Book Thief (which apparently I pronounce Fieth - yeah whatever!).


In the immortal words of one of Australia's best loved pop commentators, "Do yourself a favour and go..." see this film. It made me laugh, gasp, cry, wince and cover my eyes in horror.   It has it all but mostly the story of love. Love that is instant, love that is earned and love that is gradually allowed to blossom into the full blown love of mother and child. 

It is also about the love of books; the power of words; the tenacity of human nature and the perseverance of faith. 

I have not read the book yet, but I intend to buy it at either the Adelaide or the Perth airport next week and read it as soon as a slow reader like me can.  

When I read a good book, I like to totally immerse myself in the pleasure of it.  I hear the words in different voices and imagine the scenery in my mind before moving on through the paragraph.  I like to feel really part of the tale.

If I really enjoy a sentence or don't quite get the imagery that I am after, I will re-read the same paragraph or sentence a few times, to get the most enjoyment out of it; or to hear what the author really wanted me to hear. 

Does anyone else read like this, or is it just me?

The Book Thief is sure to be awarded many gongs in the next couple of months and don't be surprised if Geoffrey Rush and the young actress who plays the namesake, Sophie Nelisse, are accepting awards for Best Actor and Best Actress.  They were brilliant.  As was the young boy who plays Rudy, Nico Liersch. 

I could easily sit through this movie again.  So when it comes out on DVD, I will be there at the head of the queue  with my $30, waiting.

In other news, Chris' back is improving a little each day. Yesterday he went to physio again so paying for that a bit this morning, but I am confident that it will improve as the day goes on. Let's all join hands, stand in a circle and hope like goodness, anyway :)

No comments:

Post a Comment