Monday 6 January 2014

A Quieter House

The house got a lot quieter this morning.  Emily, Farooq and their cat Harriette left to return to Sydney.  Come Friday they will pack their cars up and head to the Nations Capital - Canberra - to begin their new life there. 

The house seems a bit empty.  Although we still have Danika here, her fiance is away also this week so it is just the four of us - plus three dogs! 

Chris' back is still giving him bucket loads of curry.  He still cannot sleep in a bed and is very tired all the time.  9 times out of ten, when I look over at him, his head is down to his chest and he is out to it. I am really hoping and praying for a miracle by next Monday, sooner would be even better of course. 

This week will be chocka block with last minute appointments and a trip down the coast to see Dad before I leave. Dental, podiatry, hair etc - all have to be seen to before I get on that boat on Monday night. When I think about it all, I get a nervy tummy and the butterflies turn into antelopes galloping about.  Everyone assures me that it will all be fine but I am truly at the stage now, that I just want to go and get to Karratha and start our new life there. 

I have minimal packing left, mostly clothes and the last few things that kick around for a final grab.  The lists are still with me, taunting me when I walk past the bench - in a "Don't Forget Me!" kinda way.  At least the packing station aka The Dining Table is in it's unextended state, which is a plus I think.  The last thing to be disconnected and packed will be the  stereo. I cannot live without my music.

I have gone over the box allocation so will need to talk to the removalist about that when he arrives. Hope he is amiable to a few more. Not much but at least two extra boxes. I have a small and tidy pile sitting down in the garage waiting to be squeezed into the car along with the cases etc.  Thank Goodness in a way, that we  aren't taking Dizzy. That will make packing the car a much more tolerable task.

Today I am going to move all our stuff out of our bedroom and put it in the spare bedroom so that Danika can continue to unpack her gear and actually have room to put it somewhere.  In some ways it is a lot easier having them move in but in another it presents other difficulties that need to be accommodated  - working around each others boxes etc.  But then we have had the pleasure of being here together at the same time, so that part was fun. 

So between the care giving to the patient and the waving goodbye; unpacking; cleaning; washing - and there is a small mountain of that ~ it has been an exhausting day.  A wonderful respite comes this afternoon in the form of a hair appointment -bliss - a whole hour or so of nothing! Can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment