Monday 13 January 2014

D Day

and that would translate to Departure Day.

We all knew it was coming; we have been planning for it for nearly three months and then all of a sudden it has snuck right onto my shoulders and gripped me around the neck without a fanfare or some kind of emotional warning bell.

At this very moment as I write this, I am still pretty calm.  Mind you, don't know how that feeling will transpire at 6 p.m. as I pull out of the drive at Franmaree Road and head towards the boat in Devonport.

I think that I would have been a lot more excited about the actual trip if Chris had not been laid up since he got home mid December with a bad back. That has put a dampener on everything, I gotta say. 

But I still feel optimistic and I still feel blessed and hopeful.  I am also very, very thankful. As the regular readers amongst you can corroborate, it has been a struggle at times. I am just so grateful that my wonderful family and friends have pitched in and supported me in any way they could.  What on earth would I have done without you all;  giving me your blessings and encouragement.  Making me laugh when all I really wanted to do was bawl and then letting me bawl when I really needed to. 

I can't really imagine what it will be like to leave and realise that it will be for quite a long time.  I know that we are coming back for Emily and Farooq's wedding, but it will be different  - it won't be our home anymore. And I don't think that it ever will be again.

We have lived here for 10 years - the longest I have EVER lived anywhere apart from Mum and Dad's farm at Boat Harbour.  So to say I am attached to this house is an understatement. I have so many happy memories here and so many sad times as well.  But even the bad wasn't that bad; the good was bloody fantastic though!

Life is a queer old bird, isn't she? The triumphs and tribulations, the sickness and health (that we take for granted, most of the time) and the joy that we experience just in the everyday mundaneness of  the daily grind. The funny little things that make us laugh till we pee ourselves and our sides ache - or in my case, wheeze uncontrollably till I need Ventolin!  Once I start my Precious Pup impersonation, it just makes the kids laugh more :)

But as Danika says, " I Love Us!" I really do.  I love the way we stick by each other, I love the way that we know each other so well and can read each other so well. We know what we need before anything is said.  I also love that we still learn things about each other all the time. I love them all so much and what is particularly beautiful is I KNOW they love me back.  Really what more can one middle aged rotund little lady need??

One of the most influential books that I have ever read was by A.B. Facey, "A Fortunate Life".  It resounds so well in my heart because that's exactly how I think of my life.  So very, very fortunate; so full and so lucky. 

I will do my best to keep you up to date with what is happening along the way, but as internet connection may or may not be sketchy, bear with me :)

So as Chris and I depart our beloved Tassie soil and make our way West, I just want to thank Jonathan, Danika, Emily, Shaun, Farooq, Kerry, Debbie, Terry, Angela, Di and Dad, plus my lovely nieces Alarna, Claire and Emma - for your love, for your help, for your advice and caring and for the hugs and kisses that have held me together. 

Famille - mon amour, ma vie 

No comments:

Post a Comment