Sunday 12 January 2014

Packing Day Sunday

Packing Day Sunday has arrived with a cooling breeze and the promise of a warm clear day.  Not that it really matters about the weather, but I am taking that as a good sign, an omen if you like, that today will also go clear and smooth.

Today I will pack the car and all of the clothes that we still have here that are not in boxes down stairs.  The removalist is booked for tomorrow to pick up all the boxes and take them to Melbourne.  

Just sitting here, looking around the house, now Jonathan, Danika and Shaun's home, I can still see things everywhere that belong to us but wont be coming to WA.  Cushions on the couch; quilts thrown over chairs; table runners and place mats that I made; plants that I have had for well over twenty years that have been moved from pillar to post.  These things will not be moved this time. I might look at those as remants, little pieces of me that I am leaving behind.

My friend Miriam, who we are going to see in Victoria on the way West, has always had a lovely garden where ever she has lived.  She is also a very good gardener, green thumb if ever there was such a thing.  When we both lived on the NW Coast, we used to share various little cuttings out of each others gardens.  Pieces of roses, cute little ground covers. I clearly remember one day walking around Mim's garden and she pointed out a small white rose growing on the edge of the garden bed; she said, "There's a little piece of Kathy, I got that from you. I just stuck it in and away it went."

Memory has stuck in my head ever since and I love that idea of a little piece of me, or Mim, or some other friend being with me all the time.  I now do the same with fabric scraps, same idea, different medium :)


In a lot of my quilts, there is a little bit of Sharon,  a tidy smidge of Helen, a cute piece of red from Julie and on it goes. Taking my friends with me wherever I go in something that I have created.  I have left behind quite a few quilts in various homes dotted all over Tasmania. Those quilts are imbued with love and so in another way, I leave behind a little piece of Kathy and a lot of my love. 

I hope that today goes smoothly; I hope and pray that Chris' back continues to improve - yesterday was not a great day but then, yesterday is done now so I will focus on today. 
It is calm and quiet here this morning, no one else is up but Chris, Dizzy and I. The house is quiet and still.  Right behind me on Danika's utensil holder are the immortal words of Churchill;
Keep Calm and Carry On!


I will Winston, I will!

No comments:

Post a Comment